The Sexuality of Herman Melville’s “Moby Dick”

As one reads Herman Melville’s classic novel Moby Dick it becomes more and more clear that the novel is not confined to a maritime theme, nor a sailors story. There seems to be a multiplicity of themes occurring throughout Moby Dick, a particularly interesting one being Ishmael’s musings on the whale. Although the act of whaling is considered of the maritime genre, Melville’s inclusion of the whale seems to stray from the strict maritime description. It appears more likely that the emphasis of the whale Moby Dick as the climatic action in the novel is actually a sexual innuendo to either homosexuality, the male genitalia, or both.

Melville’s creation of the character Ishmael resembles the stereotypical closet homosexual. This is apparent right from the start, when Ishmael crawls into bed with Queequeg. There is an intimacy described in their interaction that alludes to a shared feeling of sexual attraction/ awkward desire. This theme is apparent all throughout the book when it concerns Ishmael,  especially in the way that he describes male characters. For example his description of all the crew members on the boat, of captain Peleg, captain Bildad, and captain Ahab. There is a continual emphasis on their sinewy or salty, weather-worn skin. Ishmael also places extreme care in talking about how their muscles and physical bodies, in a manner that seems sexually charged. On top of these descriptions the general prose of Moby Dick is incredibly sexually suggestive. This is extremely apparent in the final chapters of the novel when they are chasing the White Whale. Every act made by the White Whale is described with sexual vernacular alluding to the thrusting of the male genitalia and its ejaculation. This prose makes it feel like the character Ishmael is the creation of the repressed homosexual desires of Herman Melville. On top of the sexual language the prose is beautiful and flowery, with amazing sensory details of nature; the subtle importance of the morning dawn and setting set. Because of this it gives the novel a feminine undertone, leading the reader to believe more that it is not so much a story of valor but a spin on heterosexual and homosexual roles within the self and society. 

-MaraJean Hagen-Spath

3 thoughts on “The Sexuality of Herman Melville’s “Moby Dick”

1. Mara, your thoughts bring to mind for me the identification of the sea in literature as being female. In song and story, sailors have referred to the sea as their “mistress.” There’s a yacht-rock song from the 1970s called Brandy whose lyrics illustrate my point:

He came on a summer’s day
    Bringin’ gifts from far away
    But he made it clear he couldn’t stay
    No harbor was his home

The sailors say: “Brandy, you’re a fine girl” (you’re a fine girl)
    “What a good wife you would be” (such a fine girl)
    “But my life, my lover, my lady is the sea”

Yeah, Brandy used to watch his eyes
    When he told his sailor stories
    She could feel the ocean fall and rise
    She saw its ragin’ glory
    But he had always told the truth, Lord, he was an honest man
    And Brandy does her best to understand

At night when the bars close down
    Brandy walks through a silent town
    And loves a man who’s not around
    She still can hear him say

She hears him say “Brandy, you’re a fine girl” (you’re a fine girl)
    It is, yes it is,
    He said, “Brandy, you’re a fine girl” (you’re a fine girl)

This feminization of the sea would seem to strengthen your argument that Moby-Dick is a highly sexual novel concerned with homosexuality and phallicism.

1. I hope Carleisha’s related remarks aren’t being buried on the blog.

Tracing some of the scholars brought in this review may be of use to this discussion:
      https://muse-jhu-edu.uri.idm.oclc.org/article/387875

I don’t have a copy available of Christopher Looby’s “Strange Sensations: Sex and Aesthetics in ‘The Counterpane'”; nor of David Greven’s _Gender Protest and Same-Sex Desire in Antebellum American Literature_. Greven’s book is well reviewed here (many others): https://muse-jhu-edu.uri.idm.oclc.org/article/596118/pdf