Rock N’ Roll Boat (sailing right off the track)

I started writing this post by googling things like “literary songs mentioning the ocean” and “modern music about race relations” which, surprisingly did not get me very far. I did find several songs through this method, but none inspired any kind of analysis from me. After thoroughly procrastinating for a while (hello netflix), I thought, on a whim, that perhaps I already had some music of my own that would relate to our studies–and I did! Kind of. There were a couple that, if you squinted, fit the bill, but I decided ultimately on just two.

The first song I found in my library was The Shore by Basia Bulat. The lyrics are as follows:

“There is no one who will take me by that shore
Close to the smoke, far from the fire of your harbor
And if I’m awake this time, I’ll know
All over your eyes a storm is rolling over
Rolling over
Rolling over
You can take away the divine, my dear
And comb your hair
And I won’t mind at all
Even though the thoughts behind
I came just to remind you, I love you so
I love you so

There is no one who will take me by that shore
But the wave is rushing out, the wave is rushing out on your shoulders
And if I’m awake this time, this time I’ll know
All over your eyes, the storm is nearly over, nearly over
And you can take away the divine, my dear
And comb your hair
And I won’t mind at all
Even though the thoughts behind
I love you so
I love you so”

There is quite a bit in this song that points to romance and her love for one person, but there is also quite a lot of language that talks about the merits of the ocean. It is a slow song, just Ms. Bulat’s voice and a hammered harp to accompany her, which has a profound effect of emphasizing the lyrics and their impact. She talks about the ocean in this song as a safe haven–somewhere she wants to go for pleasure; she wants to experience it with someone she loves. The ocean is so often a positive experience, and that is supported here by the repeated line, “There is no one who will take me by that shore…” as romance and the ocean are being conflated quite strongly.

The second song I found, and the more obvious of the two, is The Water by Johnny Flynn and Laura Marling. The lyrics:

“All that I have is a river
The river is always my home
Lord, take me away
For I just cannot stay
Or I’ll sink in my skin and my bones

The water sustains me without even trying
The water can’t drown me, I’m done
With my dying

Please help me build a small boat
One that’ll ride on the flow
Where the river runs deep
And the larger fish creep
I’m glad of what keeps me afloat

The water can’t drown me, I’m done
With my dying

Now deeper the water I sail
And faster the current I’m in
That each night brings the stars
And the song in my heart
Is a tune for the journeyman’s tale

The water can’t drown me, I’m done
With my dying

Now the land that I knew is a dream
And the line on the distance grows faint
So wide is my river, the horizon a sliver
The artist has run out of paint

Where the blue of the sea meets the sky
And the big yellow sun leads me home
I’m everywhere now, the way is a vow
To the wind of each breath by and by

The water can’t drown me, I’m done
With my dying”

This song to me seemed like a love song aimed towards water itself. Strange, but it is a favorite of mine regardless. In theory it should be gimmicky and cheesy, but I find the dynamic nature of the lyrics keeps it afloat. What I mean is each verse focuses on a different association with water. For example, the third one (“Please help me build a small boat…[…]…I’m glad of what keeps me afloat”) talks of the protection that boats can offer, and the vulnerability of humans in an aquatic environment–it’s not our domain, and big fish can be scary. The next verse after the chorus (“Now deeper the water I sail…[…]…Is a tune for the journeyman’s tale”) talks of sea songs (shanties, perhaps?) and the beauty of the stars from the ocean. This verse seemed to me like it would be the most likely to come from the mind of a sailor, as the feeling of being far out to sea and trying to make the best of it without being frightened. This is the everlasting paradox of open water–it’s one of our most lovely spectacles, but it has no mercy. Later in the song there is mention of likening the sky and water to paint, further supporting the simple idea of beauty. The chorus (“The water sustains me without even trying/The water can’t drown me, I’m done/with my dying”) is nothing but trusting and appreciative, which vexes me personally. As beautiful as the sea is, I know I would never be able to look at without even a sliver of fear striking me. (Did you know we’ve only explored about 5% of the ocean?!)

I called this song a love song because, while there is a hint of underlying and inherent fear in the lyrics, the overall effect is an overwhelming confidence in the water to provide and not be harmful. Personally, I have never been able to look at the ocean in this way which is why I was so drawn to this song. I’ve been listening to it for years and only now realised how I felt about it

2 thoughts on “Rock N’ Roll Boat (sailing right off the track)

1. Samira,

The song you chose is beautiful. I understand your point that one often never thinks of the sea in such a manner. I hadn’t realize that I never thought about the sea that way until I read your post. Usually, the sea, the ocean seem pretty to me but often times, its presence is extremely overwhelming. It is impressive that this song can look at the sea with such confidence.