Art in the Sea

There was a report on NBC Nightly News last night about a project to build an “underwater museum” that’s part art exhibit, part conservation project.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/the-breathtaking-museum-that-lies-under-the-sea-657755715683

The man behind it, Jason Decaires Taylor has done a similar project in the Gulf of Mexico, and the statues have become a living reef, providing homes for coral and fish. He’s hoping this project in the Canary Islands will be just as successful.

I just think it’s interesting that, for all the things humans put into the ocean that do harm, once in a while someone puts something in the ocean meant not only to express beauty, but to perpetuate it.

Also, I’m hoping the original records of these places get lost and they’re produced as hard evidence of the lost continent of Atlantis in a thousand years or so. Of course, the reefs will have ideally grown so much that the statues aren’t even visible by then. Go oceans!

One thought on “Art in the Sea

1. Really cool choice for an art piece. I’ve seen this image so many times and am always amazed by the beauty of the statues, and the idea that the ocean in a way clings to them. It will be amazing to see how they change over time