Hallucination Theory

I have a theory about the latter half of the novel. I believe it’s a possibility not a probability that the entire science fiction portion of this novel was a hallucination from Pym being malnourished. I was quite confused about why the novel went in such a strange direction after they were rescued by the ‘Jane Guy’ but it would make a lot more sense, realistically, if it is all imagined by Pym. This theory could even explain why there appear to be sporadic and very realistic ramblings. I believe these to be Pym’s mind validating the other almost unbelievable bad luck and later the actual fantastical predicaments in which Pym finds himself.

This theory better explains Pym’s impeccable recount of the events even when he should have been disjointed from many of his senses when he was starving. This imaginative journey to the fantastical island in the warm southern seas makes much more sense if you take it with a grain of insanity. If we imagine Pym and Peters being picked up by a boat that was in fact a mirage and view them as disillusioned men who went mad after first starvation and second cannibalism the second half of the novel seems less out of place. Cannibalism is known to cause insanity which I believe would explain not only the fantastical journey but also Pym claiming to have witnessed all of this and be writing the narrative himself. It could also be the reason that in the Preface he states that although Poe writes the first ‘few pages’, it is obvious when Pym takes over writing. I was confused at first by this because I really don’t see a shift in writing style until the story takes a science fictional turn. The writing style shifts to more of a ship’s log or diary style at this point as well, possibly to make it seem more believable which, for me at least, it was unsuccessful.

This view would also explain how Pym is claiming to be writing this entire narrative after he survived this unfortunate series of events as well as the mysterious white figure which he never explains. If he were to have imagined the ‘Jane Guy’ and its journey to death, his claim of being alive would be much more believable although still incredibly lucky. If this imagined story were to have happened in Pym’s head after he passed out from starvation it seems more likely he survived to write the narrative than if the latter half of the novel actually happened. I imagine that he dreamt the fantastical part of the book and was later rescued by a ship that realized he was close to death but still breathing. My last consideration is that of the mysterious white figure which makes for such an abrupt ending that I truly don’t understand. If the island was in fact a dream and Pym lived to tell this tale then I believe the white figure is the sun or light from him finally being awakened by his true rescuers. His lasting insanity from cannibalism might also explain why the narrative ends with a mystery and why he believed himself to be writing a genuine sea story.

I believe this to be a clearer explanation of the novel in a way that makes it more continuous and authentic. I acknowledge that this could be nowhere near what Poe was most likely attempting to do but in my mind I find it a more understandable series of events. In my black and white real versus fake brain this helps me to understand the novel at a deeper level. I could be completely wrong but this is my take on the novel.