Visiting Mystic Seaport

Although it was cold and rainy, today’s visit to Mystic Seaport was so interesting. I had never been to the Seaport previous to this, so I did not know what to expect. Mystic Seaport is so beautiful, the grounds are manicured and the buildings are well managed and historic. It reminded me of Plymouth Plantation in MA where you can go and visit a place that is a historical depiction of life in the 17th century. I remembered of this place when we went to the house where the woman was showing us how people tended the fire and cooked with its embers.

One of my favorite exhibits that I saw today was the whale teeth. These scrimshaw sperm whale teeth were so detailed and unique, I have not seen anything like them. I had not known that this art form existed before my visit today, and I could not stop taking pictures of the beautiful drawings in the teeth. I learned that these drawings were done by leisure by the whalers who worked with sailing needles and ink. Since whaling is not legal in many areas, this art form has been erased, making the remaining scrimshaw teeth valuable and rare. I could not believe the tour guide saying that one could sell for $200,000! whaleteeth
Photo Cred: Kelsey Hughes camera

Another exhibit that I liked was the figureheads. These wooden decorations were on the front of ships between the 16th and 19th centuries. I was surprised to see the diversity of figureheads in the exhibition and was amazed at their size and artistry.

figureheads
Photo Cred: Kelsey Hughes camera
Mystic Seaport was a beautiful maritime museum with so much to do and see. I can’t wait to go back in order to see all that it has to offer!